- ADELAIDE 17 - 25 January 2015
Record results for Santos Tour Down Under
New figures confirm the 2013 Santos Tour Down Under was an overwhelming success, with increases in visitor numbers, economic impact, media coverage and TV broadcast hours.
Tourism Minister Leon Bignell said the increase in interstate and international visitors, along with the growth of media coverage and TV broadcast hours, illustrates the strength and popularity of the race.
“The event attracted more than 760,400 people to Adelaide and regional South Australia across eight days, including 40,000 interstate and international visitors who travelled here specifically for the event,” Mr Bignell said.
“Today’s announcement of key research findings for the 2013 event highlights the value the Santos Tour Down Under delivers to South Australia, including an economic impact of $43.6 million.”
In 2013, the Santos Tour Down Under again showcased not only the UCI WorldTour event, but key South Australian tourism features and experiences to a massive global audience.
“The race provides an unparalleled platform to showcase South Australia's beautiful beaches, wine regions and towns to television screens, magazines and newspapers around the world,” Mr Bignell said.
Santos Chief Executive Officer David Knox said the company was “proud to support an event that is free to the community and contributes so much to the state of South Australia.”
“The Santos Tour Down Under is a world-class event that generates a huge amount of energy and excitement for our city streets and country towns. It’s clear from the results of the 2013 Santos Tour that the support from cycling fans and the broader community continues to grow.”
Research undertaken by independent company McGregor Tan indicates the 2013 Santos Tour Down Under achieved the following results:
• More than 760,400 spectators attended the 2013 event.
• The 2013 event attracted 40,000 interstate and international visitors who travelled specifically to South Australia to attend. This is an increase of 9.7 per cent on 2012.
• A $43.6 million economic impact was generated for South Australia by the 2013 event.
Other key figures include:
• The 2013 Santos Tour Down Under generated 24,500 items of media coverage, resulting in a calculated PR value of $150.44 million.
• 26 hours of coverage on Channel 9 nationally.
• 306 hours of broadcast television was screened internationally promoting South Australia to a global audience.
• Approximately 50,000 people visited the Adelaide City Council Tour Village and Bike Expo.
The racing action did not disappoint either with Dutch cyclist Tom-Jelte 'TJ' Slagter celebrating his first WorldTour victory while German Andre Greipel notched up his 100th career win.
The event welcomed Andy Schleck, 2010 Tour de France winner to the start list for the first time and the return of Philippe Gilbert as the current UCI World Road Champion, wearing the rainbow jersey.
The 2014 Santos Tour Down Under will be held 19 – 26 January 2014.
Race routes and stage details for next year’s event will be announced in July 2013.